Posted by Mike Taylor on Jan 03, 2026

Note: please see a series of links at the bottom with background and history on this topic, in particular a Jan 11, 2026 story by Graham Segger.

Temperanceville was the name for Fonthill from 1842 to 1856, before the name Fonthill was officially adopted—apparently inspired by Fonthill Abbey in England.

In 1993, the Rotary Club of Fonthill took a leadership role in establishing the Christmas Temperanceville miniature village display. That December, the display was first set up behind Town Hall, marking the beginning of a cherished community tradition.

The Rotary Club invited approximately 35 community representatives and builders to construct miniature buildings to pay homage to Temperanceville’s history. The first five buildings were created and donated by Luchetta Builders (Silvano and Walter Luchetta), Skyland Homes (Rick Toth), Pelham Printing (David Park), Fonthill Baptist Church (Al Topolinsky), along with a nativity scene constructed by Paul Ryan.

The project aimed to add new historic replicas each year, expanding the display annually during the December holiday season. This tradition has been maintained every year since 1993 (with the exception of 2024/25). Over time, many buildings were added—though sadly, some did not withstand the effects of age and weather.

By the fall of 2024, it became evident that most of the remaining buildings were in need of significant refurbishment and repair to properly represent the community. Unfortunately, there was not enough time to complete the necessary work before the annual display.

Through an existing partnership between E.L. Crossley Secondary School and the Rotary Club of Fonthill, discussions began about developing a refurbishment project within the school’s woodworking program, overseen by instructor Mr. Ryan Huxley.

Originally, plans called for the restoration of five to six buildings. However, in October 2025, members of the Rotary Club delivered all of the buildings—15 in total—to the school. Mr. Huxley, along with teacher candidate Eric Silverthorne, guided the restoration work over the following two months.

Students replaced rotten or broken plywood and fabricated new components such as windows, doors, dormers, shutters, and shingles. They also learned about materials and products best suited to withstand harsh winter weather, ensuring the buildings would remain durable during outdoor display.

Once repairs were complete, all of the buildings were repainted. In addition, students from Ms. Bronwyn White’s art classes recreated a stained-glass effect on the windows of one building, allowing the removal of the old, faded inserts and bringing renewed vibrancy to the structure.

Mr. Huxley noted how quickly the students embraced the project, observing a growing sense of excitement, enthusiasm, and pride as the work progressed.

On December 5th, the E.L. Crossley team returned all but two of the buildings to the Rotary Club. They were immediately set up in Peace Park, just in time for the Pelham Winterfest celebration—a time-worn tradition well worth preserving.

The Rotary Club of Fonthill extends its sincere thanks to Ryan and his team for their incredible efforts in helping to keep the Temperanceville tradition alive and well.

Contact

Rotary Club of Fonthill Youth Services Director Mike Taylor – info@rotarycluboffonthill.ca

Links

Sponsors